Not a Good Sign.

Talk about your experiences with models, equipment, locations and new work

Not a Good Sign.

Postby St Marc on Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:03 am

So I brought my camera bag to work Monday because I had to take pictures of some stuff for evidentiary purposes. I made a mental note to remember to take it home, but when I got home, the bag wasn't in my truck.

So I thought, "Oh, dear. Did somebody swipe my bag out of my truck?"

Then I thought, "Well, if they did, then at least I'll have a good reason for giving up photography."

This probably doesn't say anything good about my attitude.

Incidentally, I just left it in my office.

M
St Marc
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:22 pm

It's normal, I think. Lots of us have those "oh what's the point" days. Our own little personalized existential crises of the visual. One of the downsides of being bright is that we insist on questioning everything, and sometimes that has a personal cost.

Just went through it a few days ago. The first sign: Not being able to get excited about a series of scheduled Bay Area shoots. The next sign: After scheduling with two models, realizing that the timing wasn't going to work with the third one... and not caring.

The first shoot I really was a little off. Me, not her, she did fine, but I still hadn't really been able to shift my headspace out of the earlier business meetings. The photos will be competent only because of long years of practice, it's nearly automatic now.

The second shoot changed everything. The excitement came flooding back. Against all odds... this with an art model, too short, too plain, relative to the people I usually work with, and deaf on top of all that so we had to scribble notes instead of being able to talk concepts. Yet she worked so much harder than most, contributed an idea that tapped into concepts I'd been thinking about but were still half-formed.

So for now, it's fun again.

Here's hoping you find that next awesome shoot before long.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Return to Photographer Chat