Y'ever Wanna Just Say It?

Talk about your experiences with models, equipment, locations and new work

Y'ever Wanna Just Say It?

Postby St Marc on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:22 am

So my model for today cancelled and I really wanted to shoot so I tried contacting this other model who'd offered to work with me. I emailed her. She emailed me with her number asking me to call her ASAP. I call her ASAP. She's busy, can she call me back in ten minutes? It's already 9:00PM at that point but what's ten more minutes? Sure, call me right back.

She never calls back.

She called me this morning (and woke me up.) I politely told her I wasn't going to be able to come into the city this morning. Which was a blatant lie: not only can I, I am going to. But I was polite to her because she's friends with my studio partner. What I really can't do is book a model I've never worked with before and who I know was out until at least 3AM and then come into the city not knowing if she's going to show up or what kind of shape she'll be in if she does.

What I really, really wanted to say to her was, "Hey, you know how you were going to call me back and never did? That's why you're not getting the gig. It doesn't lead me to believe it's worth my time to drive for an hour and a half and waste most of my day in the likely event you don't show up. The gig was worth at least a hundred and fifty, which isn't much, I'll grant you. But by not taking the thirty seconds to call me back, you lost it, plus any possibility that I will book you in future. In a weird way, that phone call you didn't make cost you $18,000 an hour. Isn't that funny?"

Pissed-off math geeks are a little scary, I admit.

M
St Marc
Photographer

Postby CJ Maziarz on Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:44 am

That's what my last post was all about. She couldn't take the time to just make a simple phone call but she could take time to post to her MS profile?!

Of course I'm not going to work with anyone that would do that. I don't blame you for not working with her. Too bad she's acquainted with your partner! I think a lot of the times we don't say what needs to be said because of some networking conflict.

Sucks, huh?!
CJ Maziarz
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Don't you hate it when that happens?

At least you cut it off right away, before she wasted very much of your time.

It puzzles me, though, that some models don't understand we'll get annoyed if they're flakey, irresponsible, high-drama, indecisive, etc. No time for that.

I guess you won't ever be giving her a referrel to WT, either?
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby St Marc on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:23 pm

I do indeed hate it. However, my studio partner tells me that the girl is recovering from an illness and one of the aftereffects is that she "can't remember things." I just shrugged and said, "That's too bad, poor thing." What I thought was, "If she can't remember something for ten minutes straight, she oughtn't to be running around unsupervised."

And she's not really a WT sort of gal, but no, I wouldn't. Since the whole affair was the last straw that tipped me into a depressive episode (bad week) what I really wanted to do was scream at her. (I'm the angry depressive type, not the mopey type.) But I retain enough control that I did not do that. Right now, though, I have no desire to take pictures whatsoever. Even playing with my new Monster Softbox this afternoon didn't do much to bring it back. (Which might partially be due to the fact that I'm just waiting for an email from my studio partner to the effect that they broke it. Cynical, I have become.)

M
St Marc
Photographer

Postby Elizabeth May on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Marc Whipple wrote:I do indeed hate it. However, my studio partner tells me that the girl is recovering from an illness and one of the aftereffects is that she "can't remember things." I just shrugged and said, "That's too bad, poor thing." What I thought was, "If she can't remember something for ten minutes straight, she oughtn't to be running around unsupervised."

And she's not really a WT sort of gal, but no, I wouldn't. Since the whole affair was the last straw that tipped me into a depressive episode (bad week) what I really wanted to do was scream at her. (I'm the angry depressive type, not the mopey type.) But I retain enough control that I did not do that. Right now, though, I have no desire to take pictures whatsoever. Even playing with my new Monster Softbox this afternoon didn't do much to bring it back. (Which might partially be due to the fact that I'm just waiting for an email from my studio partner to the effect that they broke it. Cynical, I have become.)

M

If she suffers from an illness where she can't remember things, then either she should seriously reconsider being a model, or she should get a freaking white board to remind herself to return important phone calls which give her a paycheck.
Elizabeth May
Photographer

Return to Photographer Chat