Don't Go To Demo Days.

Talk about your experiences with models, equipment, locations and new work

Don't Go To Demo Days.

Postby St Marc on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:22 am

Unless you are very wealthy.

I went to Calumet Photo yesterday to pick up some ink and it was Demo Day. All the major manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Sony, Samsung, Brom-whatever, Epson) had tables covered with new equipment. I got to hold a 1DsMkII, which is probably as close to one as I'll ever get. And Epson's new tabletop printer is to die for. We wants it, Precious!

Now I'm all depressed.

M
St Marc
Photographer

Postby CJ Maziarz on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am

I know what you mean. I was gonna be in NYC for a show and had it in my mind to go to BnH Photo but decided I'd probably have to rob a bank after being there because of all of the things I want. I won't even go to Calumet out of fear of leaving with a Mark IIn. :(
CJ Maziarz
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Even Calumet's used cabinet can be dangerous. Especially for people who like German glass.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby St Marc on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:49 am

I was in there yesterday picking up my new camera :) and the lady ahead of me was thinking about buying a demo model XT off the floor and a clerk was looking up the price. Another clerk told him, "Somehow the lenses got switched. That demo comes with the 17-85 IS lens."

The clerk punches it up and says, "That's $879.00."

Me, the other clerk, and another customer, in one voice, said, "With the LENS*?"

The lady looked a little frightened at this unintended chorus. (New to photography, or to SLR's, I think. Definitely new to photo geeks.)

The clerk hastened to add, "Let me tell you about this lens and why we're all so shocked at the price." I added, "Buy it. It's like a buy the camera and get the lens free sale." Which was exaggerating, but not by much. I was in Sears last night and they had the XT on the floor for more than I just paid for my XTi. Quite a bit more.

M

*For those of you not familiar with Canon products, that's a $600 lens. I have one and it is made of consumer-grade AWESOME. You only get mil-spec awesome with L-glass.
St Marc
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:19 pm

I can visualize that lady looking "a little frightened." After all, the folks behind the counter there are mostly serious photo geeks, so we... as fellow photo geeks... tend to interact pretty well with them. At least two of the guys in the Chicago store have been there since the old Erie Street space (how many years ago was that? More than six or seven?), and even the newer folks sometimes, as the name comes up on their computer screen, say "oh, I've seen your website." Similar in the San Francisco store, a little smaller, more personal, more laid back, but some of the people there like to talk techie with anyone they think might understand... and they're really good at identifying fellow photo geeks from a distance of 50 feet.

A couple of friends new to photography have told me that they get really intimidated going in there, especially when they get caught in the crossfire of one those jargon-laden conversations. I've been watching since then, and they're right. When the jargon starts flying, the newbies cease to exist. Fear starts to creep onto their faces...

Ah, sociology in action. That's the nice thing about being so visual. All we need to do is open our eyes, and we see.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

I need new stuff bad

Postby Kidtee Hello on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:21 pm

I am still shooting with my D70 or my cannon rebel I feel um rather behind on the times.....

I need stuff so bad......

I was looking at lighitng and I am feeling like a big piece of crap because it would be so hard for me to ever afford the things I need.....

And Oh how I want the new epsion printer....

I was using the 2200 at the school I was going to and Oh man I wants it bad.....

It would be much pain if someone gave me a credit card......

so many many many things so little time.....

I will be happy if I can get the 30D, Decent lighting and the new epsion yup life would be grand
Kidtee Hello
Photographer

Return to Photographer Chat