Chicago/Midwest Area Models

Talk about your experiences with models, equipment, locations and new work

Chicago/Midwest Area Models

Postby St Marc on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 am

Okay, I will start the Thread of Doom regarding information about models in this area. Here are the Wicked Talent models I have worked with and my comments on them (all good.)

Gashley Darcane
http://www.wickedtalent.com/?page=talent&talentid=219

Gashley is absolutely striking and a totally dedicated professional model. She will do anything to get the shot, up to and including lying naked on a concrete floor for two hours holding a half-frozen heart! Her large wardrobe selection and otherworldly, romantic look and complexion make her ideal for Gothic, horror and dark fantasy concepts. She has a lot of experience and can either take total direction or completely wing the poses, as the photographer requires. Highly recommended.

Skifandra
http://www.wickedtalent.com/?page=talent&talentid=240

Skifandra is just adorable and has a magnificent figure, tall and slender but with nice curves. She is relatively inexperienced but takes direction well and is fun to work with. Also highly recommended.

Maya Sinstress
http://www.wickedtalent.com/?page=talent&talentid=129

Maya is just too cute and has a lush figure which looks fantastic in corsets and other fetish gear. She has the Bettie Page vibe without being a Bettie Page clone. When I worked with her, she had a lot more experience than *I* did, but we still got some great pictures because she made it happen. For a dominatrix she's very friendly, too. ;) Just kidding. Highly recommended.

Julia Vicious
http://www.wickedtalent.com/?page=talent&talentid=55

Julia is not only one of the most classically beautiful women I've photographed, she's one of the most classically beautiful women I've ever seen. She is almost too pretty to be real. If your project requires an ethereal, almost inhuman beauty, she's your model. And, like the other WT models I've worked with, she's interesting, fun, and good to work with. Likewise highly recommended.

To make this more Midwesterny, and to fill it in a little, I'll also add...

Lady Atropos
http://www.wickedtalent.com/?page=talent&talentid=197

What can you say about Lady Atropos other than, "Wow?!" Somehow she makes her girl-next-door face effortlessly do exotic and alternative looks that most ScaryModels couldn't pull off in a week of trying. She knows what poses work for her, she hits them hard, and she makes them work. In the grand total of perhaps sixty minutes I've shot with her, I've done some of the best work of my career. Needless to say, highly recommended.

I have also worked with several non-WT models in this area but I won't post them just now, mainly 'cause I'm busy. :) If the moderator doesn't object I see no reason not to post information regarding other models in this area interested in this kind of work, especially if it's, "I wouldn't recommend her, go hire a WT model instead." However, let's keep it factual and brief: "I wouldn't recommend her," is plenty to say about a model you had a bad experience with and will avoid potential libel lawsuits. And remember, if your models aren't members of WT, it never hurts to give them the link!

Marc
St Marc
Photographer

Postby NightVisions Photo on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:57 am

I have not yet worked with any of the models on this site, but I am hoping to do so at the October group shoot in Ohio.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Got to agree with you, all good for me too. Observations on the Midwestern Wicked Talent models I've worked with so far:

Atropos: I've worked with her three times, in Indianapolis, Detroit, and Toledo. She's been consistently great, one of those people who turns it on when the camera is pointed her way. I was lucky enough to catch her at the beginning, when she'd still wear that incredible gasmask outfit for shoots, but she's really good without it too :) Reliable, full of good ideas, and with organizational skills also as evidenced by the Ohio group shoot.

Maya Sinstress: Two shoots, one in her previous Chicago space (including on the rooftop) and one on location in San Francisco. She has a good range of expression, there's a lot to her that you won't find on her "pro" site, and shooting with her can be fun... even in a crowd of tourists or on church stairs in near-darkness. I've worked with a lot of dommes in various cities, and based on the final visual product she's one of the better ones.

Julia Viscious: The night shoot I did with Julia in Chicago would have panicked a lesser model, as we alternately dodged late-train commuters and scary looking homeless guys. That shoot required an edgier look, so I almost didn't recognize her at a gallery opening a couple of months ago, done up in a much more elegant look. That says a lot about her versatility.

Sindel Chaos was in the Midwest when I worked with her, in Madison WI then. Now, SW Missouri might be stretching the regional definition a little, but it's worth the effort to hook up with her. She is willing to work hard to get the right look, and at the same time is very capable of being spontaneous.

All of them communicate clearly, are ready on time, have reasonable expectations; all the signs of professionalism that seem to be routine with most WT models.

Qualifier: Currently I'm living on the west coast but grew up in Chicago and still visit almost every month, spend about a third of my time there. So there should be WT experiences yet to come in that part of the world.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:36 pm

And a special post for Chrystyne, who is a friend and not just a model. We've done so many shoots on about 10 minutes notice just because we felt like it, and it's fresh every time. I attribute a lot of that to the fact that she's an artist as well, and she brings creativity to every shoot, never stops thinking. The end product is always more than what I'd be able to do alone, there's creative energy and an intangible synergy that only happens with the very best. Anyone who has worked with her knows what I mean, those who haven't don't know what they're missing.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby NightVisions Photo on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:54 pm

well there are at least 3 photographers in this area, maybe we can work on putting together a group shoot in this area.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:12 am

Are you volunteering?

I see one other Chicago photographer among the profiles, and a few more within several hours drive. Looks like Mark and I have met most of the local Wicked Talent models.

Someone who is there full time would need to step up and organize, and then the event needs to be defined. A small gathering of WT people only, or a larger event open to all comers, or something in between with a screening process? That decision plus the amount of marketing determines the size of the space needed. Personally I prefer smaller events where there's time to do quality work plus network a little. It's a lot of work to do a group event, and larger ones can verge on barely controlled chaos.

A potential alternative is to find a small gallery and get a few regional photographers together for an exhibit. Or do the shoot, then exhibit the results.

I'm generally in Chicago for client meetings the second Thursday of each month, and typically have some free time the weekend immediately after that. Let me know if you'd like to talk about it in more detail.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby NightVisions Photo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:48 am

I can volunteer to help, I have never arranged or even attended a group event yet, so I would be a little in the dark about setting things up.

but I agree on a small gathering of WT people only would be best.
I am about 60 miles south of Chicago and Marc is only about a 1/2 hour north of me, so if we have it down here I know it would be cheaper then in the city.
Matbe Lady Atropos will jump in and give us some pointers on how to do this.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:15 am

I'll PM you some detailed info after business hours, based on what I've seen co-organizing one of these and attending several others. Not difficult, it just means staying on it.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby Donna Ricci on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:24 am

I'll lend whatever hand I can from here but you've my full support
Donna Ricci
Founder

Postby NightVisions Photo on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks, I am going to start searching for the right location, might end up waiting till spring with the holidays comming and the winter weather we have here. but if I find the right spot who knows.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

I can step up kinda

Postby kidteehello on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:11 am

I am in Dayton and I don't drive however, I have been wanting to do a midwest event like this since I visited NYC....

We rarely have WT events other than group shoots so we should all get together and hang out.....

I was thinking the Foundry here in Dayton One there are a ton of nice areas to shoot in I have used it as a place to shot before......

three it big and roomie two they already have a goth industrial night

one I can ask the Owners about it but we need to come together and figure out exactly what we want the event to be....

Also if anyone has already got something all laid out don't mind me
We could also make it a WT artshow there are enough of us out here

The big Question is are we wanting it WT only or open to the public?
and If we open it to the public in witch I am sure we will do we want it to be something like what they had at QXT? A talent search?

If we do it at the Foundry it will have to be Open to the public just because they want to make money and they won't go for it any other way...

Maybe We could do door Prizes .....

We could also Rope off certain area for shooting and it will also be somewhat live infront everyone and kinda preformance like

Kevin Fourman another WT photographer has shot there too and we where talking about doing an art show and event so wahlaa....

I know I get gun hoe about these things so if I am getting ahead of myself let me know....

I for one think that it would be an amazing event but I can not do it by myself ....

so yea let me know stuff
kidteehello

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:59 pm

The art show part actually interests me more, I really should show someplace other than California or Illinois, have a ton of stuff ready to go, and just haven't had time to do the networking to set it up. If you do anything in Dayton around the middle of any month, when I'm usually in the midwest anyway, please do let me know. Hey, it's only a five hour drive.

I'm open to considering just about any sort of WT event, or maybe one with WT people plus their guests, if I happen to be in the neighborhood. But sorry, no more everybody invited, open to all Ohio events for me. While I met some good people last time and got some good images, I had to wade through some crap to get it. There's a reason several well known people bailed at the last minute... there were a few unknown wannabes with mediocre portfolios spamming every model, and then taking offense when the better ones said no. I have personal knowledge of one case that qualifies as borderline harrasment. I just don't have the time or the inclination to deal with the drama. Remind me though to tell you someday about what happened off-site that the wannabes never heard about... :)

There's been quite a bit of offline discussion about a potential Chicago event, and I have some e-mails out to friends there about it as well. Should know more when I get there after Oct 9 and have a chance to actually sit down and talk to people face to face. But even there, I'm pushing for a very small and very selective event.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

well....

Postby kidteehello on Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:51 pm

As for the Drama it would be only open to WT photographers to be shooting in the building, and Maybe rapheal class as a guest artist for the art show part along with a painter and maybe a few others....

So yea it would be Way more closed door for a portion of it...

I do know what you mean with the "Wanna bees" I had an issue once with people shooting over my shoulder and got into a verbal fight....

Kevin Fourman and I are going to meet and Discuss Doing an art show event type thing and when figure out what we want to do we was going to Contact various people with the "Idea" that we have.

If you do a chicago Event Let me know I would like to attend also Kevin and I are talking about a chicago visit in Mid January we should hang out.....

I am looking for people to TFCD with if you know of anyone let me know....

It will be an expensive trip and I am very broke so hopefully I can find some peoples:)
kidteehello

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:15 pm

I've met both of the people you mention, they're both cool. Let me know if it's going to happen.

Find some people? The models will fight over you. I'll mention you to a few of my regulars though. January in Chicago... brrrr. Just five minutes ago booked a shoot for Tuesday night, the model wants to hurry before it gets "colder" here in northern California, like maybe only upper 50s instead of upper 60s.... we get so spoiled.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

hahaha

Postby kidteehello on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:35 pm

heh if there fighting over to shot with me why don't they ever reply to e-mails?

yea it gets cold in the winter really cold but I hope to maybe find some indoor locations...
kidteehello

Next

Return to Photographer Chat