Chicago/Midwest Area Models

Talk about your experiences with models, equipment, locations and new work

Postby NightVisions Photo on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:26 am

Chicago shoot
I have talk th Ralph the studio owner and he said March shouldn't be a problem, but between now and march he's moving into a biger studio so he's not given me a price for the rental yet. So I am still looking into other locations.

Having the shoot at Ralph's might be good for the models, he's hooked up with so pretty big names in glamour photography.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

yea

Postby kidteehello on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:23 pm

Sounds neat!!! I will plan to get out there in March as well as January!!!
kidteehello

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Update: Today I talked with a friend in the Chicago alternative community who has two leads on places to shoot. If possible I'm going to take a look at one of these tomorrow night, and am told it has exposed brick walls and is in the city. Assuming one of these spaces turns out to be suitable, any preferences on when to do something?
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby NightVisions Photo on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:12 am

Any saturday in march would by fine by me or even april.
I have a portable backdrop stand so at least we can have 2 stations to shoot. I will be working on some high key for a project I am thinking about.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

weee

Postby kidteehello on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:15 am

the more notice that is given the easier it would be to get us to get travel arrangements.

I have a new crappy full time job now and so eh yea hehe and I work another job so acually two and this isn't includion photography.

And I throw artshows so yea......

sooooo eeee Excited

and I can bring my handy sunpack flash its wonderful for one on one Location shooting....

Kidtee

Kidtee
kidteehello

Postby St Marc on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:39 pm

If the space has room I can also bring portable lighting and backdrop stuff as well as a portable changing room.

M
St Marc
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:16 pm

We weren't able to get schedules together to take a look last time, but I'll be back in Chicago Nov. 2-15 and will let everyone know once I've been able to get into the space.

For scheduling, my Chicago trips generally center around a client meeting the second Thursday of each month, so the Saturday immediately following that is generally good. Just a matter of choosing a month. If the space works, I really don't think it will take very long to set up the rest.
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby Lost Coast Photo on Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Update on potential Chicago group shoot spaces:

Looked at two potential spaces today. The first, which is available to us for sure, is a storefront in the Logan Square neighborhood (near NW side). It's a relatively small space, approx. 15 x 60 feet, with SW facing windows in front, 10-foot ceiling. The walls are sponge painted in sort of a burnt-dark red, actually a potentially interesting background if thrown out of focus, and there's a smaller area with a beige tile wall. There's also a small kitchen and a washroom off to one side.

Advantages of this space: It's free. it's within a block of mass transit (blue line). It's generally available on weekends. Disadvantages: It's small, probably only practical for two shoots to happen concurrently. Some office furniture would need to be moved out of the way.

The second space is in Pilsen, about two miles south of the loop. It's a former gymnasium, white brick and drywall walls, very high ceiling (20+ foot), large south facing windows on one wall. I stumbled on it accidentally today while doing a shoot as a favor for a friend who is a tenant in the building, so have not actually talked to management yet, but have the contact info. I'm told this space would cost $15/hour.

Advantages of this space: Big enough for multiple concurrent shoots. Excellent window light. Hardwood floors (slightly beat up). The presence of my friend two doors down the hall, she's a MUA/hair stylist. Disadvantages: Not free. The possibility of needing to sign a contract and assume some liability, the management is a large corporate entity. Limited nearby private changing space. Heat turned down a little on weekends, although it didn't cause any problems during a three-hour visit today. Up four flights of stairs. I'll call these guys tomorrow and find out if they even want to talk to us.

I still have a couple of people looking for other potential spaces. So the way to describe it right now is that we have a marginally suitable space for sure, and we're working on finding someplace bigger and better.

Potential dates, all Saturdays: January 13, February 10, March 10. Comments?
Lost Coast Photo
Photographer

Postby NightVisions Photo on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:21 am

I still like march hate driving in Chicago in the winter, one of the reasona I moved out of there. How's the parking at the second location.
NightVisions Photo
Photographer

Previous

Return to Photographer Chat